The Oahu Metropolitan Planning Organization, commonly called OahuMPO, is responsible for coordinating transportation planning on Oahu. Although OahuMPO serves as the metropolitan planning organization for the two urbanized areas on Oahu (Honolulu and Kailua-Kaneohe), OahuMPO coordinates transportation planning for the entire island.
The OahuMPO provides a forum for shared leadership and decision-making, to plan and develop a sustainable, efficient, safe, and equitable transportation system that will serve our communities’ needs for generations to come
The OahuMPO is a highly skilled, competent, and federally compliant transportation planning organization focused on improving safety and mobility for the residents and visitors of Oahu
To achieve our vision and mission, the OahuMPO has established the following goals:
1. Meet or exceed all federal, state, and local requirements, demonstrated by successful audits and federal certification reviews
2. Establish and track performance measures that lead to long-term improvement in safety, efficiency, resilience, accessibility, operation, and maintenance of Oahu’s multimodal transportation system
3. Support training and development of Policy Board members and MPO staff, pursue opportunities for peer reviews and exchanges, mentorships, workshops, seminars, and conferences
4. Attract and retain highly qualified employees and gradually grow the number of staff to ensure required competencies are available in-house.
5. Update and improve internal processes and procedures to ensure seamless, cooperative, and ongoing coordination occurs with participating agencies, essential work products are of high quality and on time, and there is quality oversight of subrecipient awards
6. Effectively and efficiently utilize available federal and local funding for regional planning, programs, studies, training, and workforce development, and while leveraging additional federal funds to better accomplish the vision, mission, and goals set forth in the Plan
The 2023-2027 OahuMPO Strategic Plan was endorsed by the Policy Board on December 20, 2022. The Strategic Plan describes the vision, mission, goals, objectives, major work products, proposed staffing, funding strategy, strategic initiatives and action items for the OahuMPO over the next five years.
View the 2023-2027 OahuMPO Strategic Plan
OahuMPO’s function is to coordinate the activities of the 3-C transportation planning process on Oahu. Participating agencies include the City and County of Honolulu, the State of Hawaii, the Honolulu Authority for Rapid Transportation (HART).
|City Department of Transportation Services|
|Honolulu Authority for Rapid Transportation|
|State Department of Transportation|