An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
INTERNSHIP – Website, GIS, and Transportation Planning Assistant
The Oʻahu Metropolitan Planning Organization (OahuMPO) is a quasi-governmental agency that serves as the forum for cooperative transportation decision-making between the State, the City and County of Honolulu’s Department of Transportation Services, and the Honolulu Authority for Rapid Transportation (HART). OahuMPO assures compliance with a continuing, cooperative, and comprehensive (3-C) transportation planning process and is responsible for developing various Federally required planning studies and programs, and other planning and project development activities to assist in addressing transportation issues on the island of Oʻahu. The OahuMPO establishes transportation goals, policies, and strategies, and determines what assets or facilities will receive Federal assistance.
The intern will learn more about transportation planning and public involvement in the context of federal funding on Oʻahu. The intern will have the opportunity to work directly with OahuMPO’s transportation planning staff while assisting them in technical aspects of current projects including the Oʻahu Regional Transportation Plan, This position will provide the opportunity to learn more about and gain hands-on experience in the organization’s current planning processes and techniques. The intern will assist in improving the organization’s website and design and create the content of planning analysis.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Work with transportation planners in preparing for and executing public engagement plans and reviewing technical work products for OahuMPO plans and studies;
• Create maps and conduct analyses in GIS;
• Assist staff in reviewing current OahuMPO website; manage and improve content and organization of webpages;
• Assist the Community Planner in staffing the OahuMPO’s Citizen Advisory Committee; and
• Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS REQUIREMENTS
• Basic understanding of planning principles as may be acquired by completing or working on a bachelor’s/master’s/PhD in computer science, engineering, or GIS fields;
• Knowledge and competency of core concepts in GIS and analysis;
• Competency in various computer software programs including Microsoft Office suite, ArcGIS, WordPress for websites, internet applications, and other multi-media tools for communication with the public;
• Ability to work effectively and contribute in a team environment;
• Flexibility and ability to juggle multiple priorities and demand;
• Strong written and verbal communication skills;
• Self-motivated, and able to work independently to provide accurate and timely work products with little or no supervision;
• Enthusiasm to learn more about transportation
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE WILL ALSO HAVE
• Proficiency in HTML & CSS;
• Working knowledge of web design frameworks like Bootstrap and jQuery;
• Experience with any scripting languages such PHP, R and python strongly preferred;
• Experience in Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere, or similar programs;
• Collecting, interpreting, analyzing, and reporting;
• Identifying patterns and trends in data sets;
• Defining new data collection and analysis processes; and
• Assisting indirectly in the technical build-out and/or support of databases, query tools, reporting tools, BI tools, dashboards, etc. that enable analysis, modeling, and/or data visualization.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
• Salary range is $20 per hour.
• Flexible scheduling
• Aloha attire and casual dress every day
• Since this is a temporary, 89-day hire position, there is no vacation, sick, or holiday pay and no medical benefits.
This is a temporary position. The hours are based on candidate availability and agency needs.
Open until filled
To be considered, applicants must submit a cover letter and resume to:
707 Richards Street, Suite 200
Honolulu, Hawaii 96813
Or by email, to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Resumes will be screened by a selection committee to choose who to interview. Desirable candidates will be asked to complete an application for the State of Hawaii, which will require proof of citizenship, background check, official documentation of education, etc.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
* This position is exempt from civil service. Therefore, if you are appointed to the position, your employment will be considered to be “at will,” which means that you may be discharged from your employment at the prerogative of the OahuMPO Policy Board or its designee at any time.
For information on the State of Hawaii’s Benefits At-A-Glance, click on this link: